Opening Bank Account in India for Nepali Citizen - PRsBlog
Home >> Personal >> Opening Bank Account in India for Nepali Citizen

About John Bhatt

Aka, Prithvi Raj Bhatt, A Proud Nepali, Blogger, Software Developer, ASP.NET, Web Designer & Developer, Faculty and a Troubleshooter blog @PRsBlog


  1. A big thanks from this fellow nepali…i have been trying to open bank account in India past few weeks but unable due to document proofs. This helped a lot!!!

    • Thanks friend.

      It is great to hear that. Keep reading.

      • if he/she did not have a citizenship card?

        • Then there is no luck.

          Only if Embassy provide you the Letter but they do not accept Photocopy or Scan Copy.

          • Hello Sanjay,

            Where do you live in India. If you are near Delhi, go to Nepal Embassy as on above map. Submit your Original Citizenship card and get letter. Then go to Bank and meet Bank Manager, show the letter.

            Refer to RBI KYC Guidelines at and rear Point No. (vi) in first section.

            I may help you more if you completed above steps and still unable to open an account. Reply with Bank Detail where you visited.

        • Hi JOHN BHATT,
          I do have my valid passport from Nepal. I visited several bank here in New Delhi, but none of them are accepting my passport. They say that they will need an Indian ID document.

          Please advise.


          • Hello Arbind!

            Please name any of Bank name you visited or Just write me the name of bank where you want to open an account. I will give you the Contact Details of the Manager and Nodal officers in case they deny to open.

            Thanks for visit.

            John Bhatt

          • i tried to at the branches of bank of india and sbi and syndicate bank with my passport and notarized rent agreement.(not court registered). but they straightly denied.and further told that there was no way to open my account in their branch until and unless i have any indian documents like voter id , indian license, which is impossible as i am a neplese citizen.
            and the irony is that prior to me some of my nepalese friends had opened their savings accounts,in the same branch, but my bad i couldn’t .
            i have a bank account with sbi bank but in gurgaon branch and now i have changed my address so i am unable to make any modifications in that account and to transfer the account i need to provide kyc documents to other branch which they dont accept,
            our embassy doesnt help in this matter,
            i tried to make a registered rent agreement but that is tough and costly and the landlord doesnt readily agree,.
            so it is all messed up. i am surprised that despite having valud documents in this 21st century opening a bank account is tough in india.
            maybe the private banks will but the qab is very high minimum 10000 and i cant afford that much as i am a student.
            so if u have any effective idea or suggestion or if u could help please suggest.

          • If you are in Delhi and bank is Syndicate, here is Contact of Nodal Officer. Speak to him directly and tell your problem.

            Delhi – Sri S.K. Takkar – General Manager – 011 – 23382593/23381352 (O) – 9810803404 (M) 9968309160 – – SyndicateBank, Regional Office, No.6, Bhagwandas Road, Delhi – 110001.”
            For other reason, here is contact list of Nodal Officers of Syndicate Bank,

          • Thanks for the information. I was collecting information to open a bank account here at India. Now will collect address proof and employment letter and will proceed accordingly.

          • Thanks for reading Pankaj. Hope this article helped you in some manner.

          • Can a nepali citizen enter in a registered partnership with an Indian

          • Thanks for this information .. now i am here in Kuwait and planning to come india and start some restaurant business but all i need is Bank account so main kaise khata khol sakta hun india main … mere pass kuwait ka Visa passport and nepali Nagrita hai… ? mujhe delhi jana jaruri hain ya maine kahi suna hai Pin card and adhar card se ban sakta hai kuch dadaal log kam karte haina paise se … is it true …? pls help me

          • Thanks for reading. If you have PAN Card and Aadhar Card issued by Indian Authority, you do not need to attest your Citizenship certificate from Embassy, but If you only have PAN card, it is not considered as ID card for bank purpose. Using agents you can get PAN card but not Aadhar card, but as this is illegal, you are not advised to follow Agents. If you have passport issued by Nepal Govt, you can get Bank account on behalf of that by submitting additional a valid Address proof certificate. To get aadhar no you have to submit proof of Identity and residence in that area. Revert if required.

          • Hi Amar, Sorry for delayed reply. I think it is legal because as per INDO-NEPAL aggrement, we can live and start own business on each others country.

          • Process of getting an Aadhar Card depends upon the documents you have and locality where you reside in India. You can get Aadhar Card by submitting your existing ID proof documents because it is not proof of Nationality, it is just proof of Identity.

            Please go through list of Documents required by RBI regulations which is governing body of Indian Banks at RBI official website here

            Good Luck.

          • Hy i am citizen of nepal and have passport and nepali citizenship currently i m working in a company in vadodara i want to open a bank account to get deposited my salary.Any of the is not accepting nepal document and demanding for pan card or such plz guide me what i can do.

          • Hi Saurabrathi,

            Please share the Bank name and branch you visited. Also Do you have any Address proof here. This includes Rent Aggrement, if company provided, Company ID card and letter written that you live at their address.

          • Hi Prem,
            Electricity bills and gas connection bills are rarely available with any Nepalese in india. As you say, bank has also started questioning about Rent agreement.

            You can check with banks that are nearby village area, those might accept normal rent agreement. Else you have to go with Rent agreement issued from court which costs a lot.
            I will talk to some banks and post if there is any alternative documents.

          • Thanks, Prithvi/John for this post.. quite informative, I must say… but recently the banks have started refusing electricity bill or gas connection bill as the address proof in India… forget even the rent agreement…. the only documents they now accept are driver’s licence, ration card, voter’s ID, or Indian passport… any idea how to circumvent these issues?


          • Hi john,
            if we are living in other part of india ,in that case how we can reach out to the embassy?..can we drop a mail for that with attached all documents.

          • I have account in SBI and i opened it when i was student and now i have started doing business and i have to go to india once a year for it. My SBI mastro card is there so i am using same for the transaction till date. Can you make me aware that if we have already an account and if i need to do something like renew card or something and i have to permanent adress of india as i am back to Nepal but still i want this account will there be any effect until and unless i am using it and there is also minimum balance maintained. Do you have ideas in this. I will be happy if you make me aware

          • Hi, you may request card on branch instead of address. I think SBI can arrange for delivery at any branch you desired.

          • What if,if he hadn’t have proof of address in INDIA

          • Well Aashish, Then there might be some problem. You need at least 1 local address proof. Read the KYC Documents required as per RBI Guidelines.
            Thanks for reading and contacting.

          • roshan rajkarnikar

            What would be the process for attesting my citizen ship card?? And will I get my original copy back from the embassy?? Will that be sufficient for opening an account in bank??

          • Hi Roshan, You have asked 3 questions, here are your answers.
            1) I have mentioned steps for Attesting just above the embedded MAP.
            2) You will get your original back. They just get the copy for verifying and you will get Card back as it was. No remarks, No stamps.
            3) Due to recent change in KYC, some friends have reported difficulty while opening account. Now Banks are also asking for Address Proof that is valid to new KYC norms. Eg. Aadhar Card, Rent Agreement from Court etc.
            If you are in Delhi or nearby area, please contact me directly using phone number in header of website.
            Thanks for reading. Best of Luck.

          • Hi john
            Iam working here in gurgaon and ihave bank account at corporation bank but bank not provide me passbook n cheque book iam receiving my selery by my debet card so iwant to open account at sbi bank n i do not have any ligal document iam staying with my reletivis who working in gvrnt of hr and they have gvrnt flat.

          • Hi Roshan, You have asked 3 questions, here are your answers.
            1) I have mentioned steps for Attesting just above the embedded MAP.
            2) You will get your original back. They just get the copy for verifying and you will get Card back as it was. No remarks, No stamps.
            3) Due to recent change in KYC, some friends have reported difficulty while opening account. Now Banks are also asking for Address Proof that is valid to new KYC norms. Eg. Aadhar Card, Rent Agreement from Court etc.
            If you are in Delhi or nearby area, please contact me directly using phone number in header of website.
            Thanks for reading. Best of Luck.

          • Okay thanks for the info. I’ll contact you.

          • Hi. I have a bank account with PNB-shimla, i want to open an account with a bank in Delhi, Can i use the bank statement of my PNB account to open a new account here at Delhi without having to submit a letter from the embassy?

          • Sorry Ayush Barnawal, I never tried to search that part because I feel very proud on being citizen of Nepal.

            By the way, you can consult with local authorities like Sarpanch or similar and get Voter ID arranged during Election time. You can also go illegal way by choosing Agents which can make documents for you with some charge. Please visit for complete guidelines on Indian Citizen ship.

            Thanks for reading and posting, All the Best.

          • Hello John,

            I m waiting for your mail…

          • Hi, I’m Rajesh, and I am in South India. Could you put me on to any reputable and conscientious employment agency in Nepal through whom I can give jobs in India to those who need it, after the disruption caused by the earthquake? My mail Id is

    • I am also an nepalese student studying in india. Can u share how u opened ur account here?

  2. If you already have an account, you need not to get Letter. But you need to submit an Address proof verifying the local address nearby the branch where you want to get an account.

  3. Hello, John..
    I’m from Nepal.Currently Pursuing my B.Tech. from Allahabad,India.Did my 12th(Intermediate) in 2012 also from India.Now I want to apply for Indian citizenship. M also having a Bank Account @ SBI(Student account).Can you please tell me the entire Procedure of it? I searched nearly everywhere but didn’t got the appropriate Solution. Would Highly appreciate your positive response.
    Thanx in Advance.

  4. Well.. I too feel proud for that.. But the problem is I have to continue in India after my Graduation.. And Joining any IT Firm demands Nationality. I have gone through your Profile & website which says you are too working in an IT Firm. So being an NRI won’t make difference in getting a job as compared to Non-NRI’s. Can you Share your Experience(How you got your job being an Non-NRI) & help me out on this..
    And Thankyou brother for your so quick Respone..

    • Hey John. I want to open an account in a Private Sector Bank like ICICI or AXIS. I went to a branch of ICICI and they told me they accept PAN card, Voter ID card, Passport, DL, Aadhar Card as ID PROOF and Voter, Passport, DL, Aadhar as ADDRESS PROOF.

      I told them I am a nepali citizen and have a passport with me. But they themselves look clueless what to say.

      However they told me to get a PAN card at least.

      So i was wondering where can I get PAN (legal way)? I know of a friend who knows an agent that could arrange a pan card. Do you know of anyone who has made a pan card via agent?

      I know it is not entirely legal, but you gotta do what you gotta do right?

  5. Hi Kritesh,
    Thanks for reading and sharing your experience. PAN card can be treated as ID card, as you said it is entirely not legal but you can take help of any agent. Generally they take 300-500 INR and can help you getting PAN card. But ensure to go with a permanent address agent like Photocopy shop etc to avoid tension.
    Exactly as you said, most (96%) of bank staff are unaware about the procedure of opening account with foreign citizen. In case you’ve got Passport but most of Nepalese citizen do not carry their Passport. You may reach me directly via mail on Contact page and leave your phone number. We may talk over phone and I will try to help my best.
    Once again thanks.

  6. Hello John Bhatt sir,

    I want to open in SBI account.I am now in Himanchal Pradesh.kala amb(173030).now I am studying.I want to open SBI account but here manager said to me you can’t open in SBI account because you are from Nepal.he need to to local adhar card but I have only Nepali citizenship.and my college bonafite latter. so give me some suggestion and bank manager contact number for contact …kalaamb himanchal Pradesh sirmour. Branch…
    pincode 173030.and on my gmail ld I want to open private account..

    • Hi Rakesh,

      Thanks for reading and writing back. Please follow below steps.
      1. Get your Citizenship card attested and get a letter from embassy (ID Proof).
      2. Ask your college and get a letter telling that you live in college hostel (Local Address Proof).

      If you manage to get these documents, there is no need of additional documentation.
      Below are contact details of Nodal officers for your region.
      CHANDIGARH Office: Sector 17-A, Chandigarh – 160 017
      1 GENERAL MANAGER, NETWORK – 0172-2703315 –
      2 GENERAL MANAGER, NETWORK – 0172-2704957 –

  7. Hi John,
    I am a student in Delhi from Kathmandu and I want to open an Indian bank account here. I tried many banks with my passport but every bank denied and asked for Indian id.
    So can you please help

  8. Hlw I am also a Nepali citizen but I am not even staying in India, I have some Indian relatives as well but I am completely Nepali and legally I want to get an account in HDFC bank and they asked me my pan card and passports which I have but still I m nt sure that will they give me a account or not and its important for me to get an account because they provide International Debit card which I need so, I want to get an account there can somebody tell me about this. I am Not sure because bank staffs are not sure always.

    • Hi Aniket,
      Thanks for reading and writing back us your doubts. You said, you have PAN card which is a Valid ID Proof in India. For Address Proof, I think you can arrange rent agreement from any of your relatives here.
      Now coming to HDFC, HDFC is a private bank and they demand a high value of amount as Minimum Balance (ie. INR 10000 for Metro, INR 5000 for Urban and Rural). If your monthly balance goes below the limit, you will be penalized.
      Coming to International Debit card, now most of Banks are issuing International Debit card with latest security standard from Visa and MasterCard network. So don’t worry about that, you can choose any bank.
      BTW, HDFC has very nice customer support system and you can directly reach branch manager at any time. If any further help required in this regard we will be happy to help.

  9. hello sir . i am from kathmandu .but working in pune .i wanted to get a bank account .but i have only my password with me .and my debit card dosent work in here .can you please give me advice what should i do .and where can i use my card ……it would be very help ful for me ………………….

  10. Rajeev Prasad Jaiswal

    Hello John,
    I am a Nepali citizen with a valid citizenship certificate but since I am in Bangalore. How can i get this things get done from Nepalese Embassy as the embassy is in Delhi and its not possible for me to go their. I am struggling to open bank account here from the past 7 months . Please help me out as early as possible

  11. Rajeev Prasad Jaiswal

    I have Pan Card, Nepali Citizenship , Local Rental Agreement. Just the thing I am missing is a passport and the bank over here are denying to open the account. Pelase help me out for the same.

    • If you have PAN card and local Rent agreement, I would suggest you to acquire Aadhaar Card from local sources.
      As clearly mentioned in Aadhaar card itself, it is not proof of nationality, it is just identity and address proof. So I don’t find anything wrong in getting Aadhaar card. If you have Aadhaar card, you can easily get bank account without the process of verification and displaying your Citizenship card.
      All the Best.

  12. hi,
    i have all nepali docs, passport and citizenship and live in kathmandu.
    i have my village address in citizenship and passport which i cannot use as address proof.
    i wan PAN in india. will my bank statement from a nepal’s bank work as my address proof?
    pls help how i can get a pan in this case.

    • Hi Niraj,
      If you are living in Kathmandu, then why do you need PAN card from India? By the way, Bank Passbook/Statement are no more considered as address proof in banking sector. To get PAN card, you can take help of any of agent in India.

  13. Hey John,

    I went through the post and thought i would just ask you few questions that I have in mind. I am a Nepalese citizen working in Mumbai. I previously used to stay in Bangalore and had an account there but the address mentioned was of my college and is probably no longer valid now.

    So coming back to my issue, i need to get an account in Mumbai and the documents that I have are
    1. Passport
    2. Rental Agreement ( Xerox, as my owner has the original one)
    3. Employment Letter

    Is that enough documents because passbook is no longer valid address proof so changing my address in my previous bank is not what i want and definitely do not want to stick to that bank because of the restrictions.

    Please suggest 🙂

    • Hi Asmita,
      Thanks for writing and apologize for delayed approval of comment and reply.
      If you do not want to continue with your existing bank account which you had in college days, no problem. You have mentioned documents which quite enough for opening a bank account as per RBI guidelines and regulations mentioned at and in the same page.
      I am sure, any of bank is going to open your account with these documents but please make sure to apply for a PAN card. Because banking is dependent on PAN account in India and bank may ask for it. It is just ID proof and no worry about any legal issues. If you have local address proof and passport, you can also apply for Aadhaar, which is itself a Address proof and ID proof. It is clearly mentioned in Aadhaar card, it is not proof of citizenship. So no need to worry on that part too. In case bank officer denies to accept the document and process for opening bank account, search for Nodal officer of the same bank and co-ordinate with him. Generally Nodal officers are very helpful.
      Hope it will help you. 🙂🙂

  14. Sir
    what type of account can a nepali resident open in INDIA ? Ordinary savings account or NRO account ?

  15. hi!
    I am Lalit Thakur. I do have all the documents you guided but lacks address proof cause i am residing in pg.What can i do? Please guide.

    • Hi Lalit,
      This is a most common situation. In this case, you can ask your PG owner to arrange a Rent Agreement. If he denies to provide the same, then you may ask any of your local friend to help in this concern. If all these means are not possible, then try reaching some local agents and make Aadhar card.

  16. Dear John
    Good morning, I am Nepalese working in CFMCC Chinese company salt lake sector II Kolkata from 2 months. I veto open bank account to deposit my salary but I visited 3 SBI bank near to the salt lake, they do not agree to open bank account bcoz I am Nepalese. I have following documents
    1. Nepalese Passport/ Citizenship
    2.Employment letter from company
    3.address provided by the company in his letter pad (company provides me an apartment so I don’t have electricity/rent agreement/telephone bill).
    Please suggest me how to open the bank account in India

    • Good Day Vinay!
      I just had look at revised regulation on RBI website which you can access at
      However documents you have mentioned are sufficient enough for opening bank account, but SBI and other governments on smaller branches might be unaware of this process.
      But suggested action is to visit private sector bank or regional branches of government banks.
      Below are contact of Central Public Information officers contacts for branche you have mentioned.
      Regional Manager & CPIO : 9674711606 – 8584811606
      THE CHIEF MANAGER & CAPIO : ( Administration) 9674711607

      If showing passport is creating lots of problem, then I can suggest you only legal alternative, that is to take help of Proof of ID prescribed in point no (ii) letter issued by a gazetted officer, with a duly attested photograph of the person.
      Thanks for reaching.

  17. Hi John,
    Thanks for the post on this topic.As many Nepalis I m struggling to open a bank account in India. Panjab National bank manager in Laxmi Nagar, Delhi asked me to bring Embassy letter first. I prepared letter for a cost of my one day time and Rs 125. After that manager asked me to provide “diary number” when I presented him motorized landlord agreement which he didn’t mention in the first place. I asked my landlord and he is not willing to go through the process to get diary number(I do not actually know what the heck is this).

    I have valid passport. I have Airtel mobile post paid bill addressed where I m at the living. I have embassy letter…. But none of the bank willing to open an account.

    I tried in Kotak, Axis, ICICI, HDFC etc. They have different requirement surprisingly. All they ask valid Indian documents.

    Can you help on this. I live in Laxmi nagar.

    • Hi Bal Krishna,

      Have been through your situation. Diary Number is a number provided by Court for the registration of legal agreement between you and your landlord which costs around 7-8 thousand (approx).
      Actually, Letter from Embassy works as Identity proof and we need to furnish Address proof as well. Now coming to that point, Postpaid Mobile Bill or notarized rent agreement can be treated as Address proof but this depends on Bank Official. Actually RBI left a space in this regard with sentence saying as per satisfaction of Bank officer who is assigned to open accounts.
      These days are very busy days for Banking officials as well for currently ongoing demonetization issue. I suggest you to contact to Nodal officer of banks where you want to open bank account.
      Here is link for Nodal officers list of HDFC Bank.
      For better and faster response, I suggest you to contact HDFC Bank using their Twitter care at
      These guys are faster and can really help you out.

  18. Dear John,
    i want ur help in the field of opening a new bank account in india……i m from nepal… i nowadays living private hostel in greater noida…. i m studying now so i want bank account for all transactions related to college and hostel……
    how can i open account.. i have passport… i have nepali citizenship… but not getting any solution… plz help me….
    i want to open my bank account in sbi or bank of baroda or punjab national bank nearby greater noida… which has not any extra charges for depositing money from other state also… to whom i can meet to open my accounts plz suggest ASAP…..

    • Hello Rajan,
      Passport is good to go without any additional requirement. For address proof, please ask a letter from your Hostel or College regarding provided accommodation with address.
      Visit bank and consult with banking officials, if they deny or ask any additional documents, please revert us.

  19. I have been trying to open a bank account in Bhikaji cama place ,but none banks are accepting my documents of Nepal. I have a NOC from Nepalese Embassy, citizenship of Nepal, rent agreement documents & letter of a Chartered Accountant I am training under.Bank of Baroda,PNB are not accepting my following documents.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *